This week we meet Emily and her 18 month old daughter from @_littlewrenplays
Teaching with Kindness!
How to encourage kindness through play:
- Patience: Give your child the space and time they need to learn and grow. Activities don't always go to plan and that's okay; let them lead the way. Child led play allows kids to feel, to think, to act and to really focus on their emotions independently. All of which are important in healthy well-being and development in children.
- Connect: Slow down and connect, let them take you on their wild adventure. It's small acts like this where you're promoting kindness and acceptance, while building an emotional connection with your children.
- Teach: I love teaching my daughter kindness through play; it's extremely rewarding for both of us. You can create a specific activity that focuses on a theme, exploring principles of kindness, or it can be as simple as encouraging your child as they perform a task.
How to bring kind play into your home:
There’s a saying that goes “kindness starts at home"...
While that’s partially true, I rather believe that “ kindness starts within”...
I think many of us have lost our motivation and inspiration, but I'm here to help you find that spark and to encourage kind play in your home to teach your kids.
Some great activities that focus on promoting kindness and acceptance are:
- Learning different cultures- foods around the world
- Teaching acceptance of different races- people around the world
- Affirmation cards- reading and learning
- Sharing – sharing toys with others
- Calm down- lavender play tray / scented play dough
- Helping- helping around the house / animal rescue
- Communication- exploring and recognising emotions
- Challenge- create a fun kindness challenge in the classroom
There are so many possibilities for activities that help children recognise and learn about kindness. It doesn’t have to be difficult or complicated; focus on age appropriate activities for your children to be engaged and best learn from. Slow down, soak up the moments, and always be kind to yourself and others.
We would love to hear how you incorporate kindness into your play. Comment below or connect with us on Instagram!